The ultra-high bond or UHB double sided tape
and the very-high bond or 3M branded VHB double sided tape
are double sided tapes that have a very strong adhesive. Some of the uses for these tapes include attaching automotive interior and exterior trim on vehicles and for replacing rivets and spot welds. If you need to create a strong, permanent bond between two substrates these are the tapes to look at.
The main thing to be aware of when applying these tapes is that they have a 1 to 24 hour dwell time which means the adhesive bond will not fully set until that time has elapsed. The surfaces being applied to should be completely dry and free of any debris or cleaning solvents when the tape is applied and its always best to try and provide pressure during the dwell time and if the item being attached is vertically mounted try to support the weight of the item during this time.
These tapes adhere very well to high surface energy substrates like aluminum, stainless steel, glass and painted metals. If you are trying to use these tapes on lower surface energy substrates like plastics then the 3M 4952 VHB tape is specifically designed for this purpose or you can use an adhesion promoter primer like the 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter sponge applicator packets (each packet covers approximately 150 square inches).
Popular double-sided UHB / VHB choices include the 3M Scotch 4950 VHB Tape which is used in exterior and interior structural bonding applications and is a great replacement for permanent fasteners. 4950 VHB double sided tape has a thickness of 48 mils and the adhesion to stainless steel is 400 ounces per inch. JVCC UHB45FA-G Ultra High Bond Double Coated Tape is a more economical foamed acrylic. It is often used in the transport industry and its adhesion to stainless steel is 139 ounces per inch and its thickness is 43.3 mils. If you need to create a structural bond on a glass door a good clear option to look at would be the 3M 4905 VHB Tape or the JVCC DC-UHB20FA-C Ultra High Bond Double Coated Tape. For automobile attachment specific applications see the 30 mil thick 3M 06376, 45 mil thick 3M 5952 VHB, or the 90 mil thick 3M 06394 Automotive Attachment Tapes.
3M VHB Tape Rules of Thumb
- Use 4 square inches of tape for each 1 pound of weight need to hold up.
- When choosing the thickness of the tape you need make sure the VHB tape's thickness is at least 1/2 the thickness of thinner of the two substrates you are bonding to.
VHB Tape and UHB Tape Applications
- Attachment of a wide variety of automotive exterior and interior trim on cars, trucks, trailers and buses.
- To replace rivets, spot welds, liquid adhesives and other permanent fasteners like bolts and screws.
- Signs and graphic art assemblies.
- Furniture and appliance manufacturing.
- Permanent bonding between a wide variety of substrates such as glass, some plastics, composites, sealed wood and metals.