The following are some general recommendations or guidelines to follow when applying a pressure-sensitive adhesive tape:
- Make sure the surface you are applying the tape to is completely dry and free of any debris before the tape is applied.
- If any cleaning supplies were used recently on the surface please make sure no residue remains from the cleaning product (if so please use water to remove and then let it dry completely).
- Unwind the tape from the roll (if the tape has a release liner remove it now). During this step be careful not to contaminate the adhesive by touching it at all with your fingers since it will transfer natural oils over to the adhesive side. Also try to immediately bond the tape to the surface without entrapping air between the tape and the surface it is being applied to.
- Use some application pressure (it doesn't have to be that forceful) in order to achieve maximum bond strength.
- If the tape has an acrylic adhesive the dwell time the tape needs to be in contact with both surfaces (before it reaches it maximum adhesion) is typically 1 to 24 hours. For best results during this dwell time try to provide some application pressure; also if holding an item vertically against a surface try and support the weight if possible.